Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, Kota Kinabalu, has adopted a local grade school, Sekolah Kebangsaan Bantayan, which is located just 20 minutes from the city centre. The two hundred and fifty children attending the school come from impoverished families living in villages around the school that earn just MYR 400-MYR 1,200 a month.
The Resort supports the school through various planned activities, including:
- Donating English and mathematics books to the school's library
- Providing nutritious food for the children who cannot afford to bring their own snacks to school
- Working with the local medical community to create medical records for the students and measure their nutrition levels
- Maintenance and upgrading of current infrastructure to create a safe environment for the pupils
- Resort team and guest visits
Guests can support this programme by participating in the weekly scheduled visit to SK Bantayan.