A 10% Goods and Services Tax applies to most purchases.
This tax is refundable to visitors with purchases in excess of AUD 300 per store, made within 60 days before departing Australia. Multiple purchases from the same store - even on separate invoices - may also be eligible for a tax refund.
A Tourist Refund Scheme App is available for download here, which allows visitors to pre-load their items which have GST to be claimed and also enables a scanning option for check-in at the airport.
Purchases are eligible for refunds if:
- They are purchased in the 60 days before you leave Australia
- Your purchases from any single business total AUD 300 (GST inclusive) or more
- You, the passenger, paid for the goods
- You have the original tax invoice for the goods
- You wear or carry the goods (unless they are liquids, gels or aerosols, which the airline require to be checked in) as hand luggage aboard the aircraft, ship them as you leave Australia, or check them in with your luggage after they have been verified by an officer at the Client Services counter
Please call 1300 363 263 or visit www.customs.gov.au for further information.