- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 large aubergines, sliced lengthwise as thinly as possible
- 100g parmesan, finely grated
- 125g mozzarella, torn into small chunks
- Handful of basil leaves
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wide saucepan.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes to create a sauce.
3. Brush both sides of all aubergine slices with olive oil. Fry all the slices in the heated olive oil. Once cooked, remove them from the heat.
4. Spread some tomato sauce (from step 2) over the base of a large baking dish, and sprinkle 25g of parmesan cheese on top.
5. Top the cheese with a layer or two of aubergine slices. Spoon more tomato sauce over the aubergine slices. Scatter mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves on top.
6. Repeat the process to create layers. Finish by putting the last portion of tomato sauce on top.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the top is crisp and golden and the tomato sauce is bubbling.
8. Remove from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Top with basil leaves before serving.