Shanghai, 23 December 2013 – Jing An Shangri-La, West Shanghai presented the city a special gift – the Calypso. This new modern Mediterranean restaurant and lounge offers a food and wine experience within an informal and engaging environment. Calypso opened on Sunday, 22 December 2013.
Located in the hotel’s piazza, the eye-catching two-storey bamboo-clad glass-roof building brings Mediterranean cuisine to the doorstep of guests and residents. It has been designed by world-famous architect Shigeru Ban and stands right next to one of the former residences of Chairman Mao Zedong. Al fresco dining is available not only on the ground floor, but also on the second-level roof terrace. This is topped off with DJ music, creating the epitome of a relaxed ambience.
Calypso offers Mediterranean food with focus on Spanish, Italian and South-of-France cuisine. The restaurant uses only the best selection of meat and seafood, cheeses and pastas. Authentic Napoli-style pizza and homemade gelati will also be some of its greatest highlights.
In addition to the food menu, the beverage list does not disappoint. A temperature controlled wine cellar supplies the wine bar with a steady flow of champagne, wine and signature cocktails. Aside from a top-notch sommelier, the enigmatic wine station with 24 different wines offers a one-of-a-kind experience. A takeaway counter facing Anyi Road will also be open for purchase of items, such as gelati and artisan pizzas.
To celebrate the opening, guests who dine between 22 December 2013 and 31 Jan 2014 will receive one oversized signature WOW Tiramisu for each table.
Calypso’s food and beverage highlights:
- Calypso Coffee: A special blend of three varieties of coffee freshly roasted locally
- Calypso Hot Chocolate: From a unique selection of imported premium chocolates
- Charcuterie (cold cuts): A special selection of imported premium vintage hams from Spain and Italy
- Cheese: A unique selection of imported cheeses from Italy, Spain and France
- Pasta: A high-quality selection of Italian dry pasta from the world-renowned pasta production area, Gragnano
- Seafood: Imported seafood from the Mediterranean Sea and around the world
- Pizza: Authentic Napoli pizza prepared in a stone pizza oven specially brought in from Naples and certified by the Professional Pizza Association
- Seasonal Specials: A wide selection of unique ingredients and seasonal products imported from selected organic farms
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: A selection of extra virgin olive oils from Italy, Spain and France. These oils are chosen to pair, season and balance each dish to perfection.
- Gelati: A selection of artisan gelati created with the best natural ingredients, imported milk and spring mountain water – all without additives, artificial colouring or preservative
Restaurant capacity: Level 1: 107 seats / Level 2: 95 seats
Opening hours: 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. from Sunday to Thursday / 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday
Reservations: (86 21) 2203 8889
MEET THE CHEF
Chef Davide Care’ from Italy is Calypso’s Chef de Cuisine. His formal culinary training began at Formont, where he graduated from the Culinary Institute. His professional culinary journey began in Turin.
After having worked at some of Turin's finest restaurants, Chef Care’ received an opportunity to work at the Caval du Brons, a Michelin-starred restaurant. In 1999, Berlin called and he packed his bags, arrived in the city of contrasts and began work as Chef de Partie at some of the city’s best-known Italian restaurants. He later became Sous Chef of award-winning restaurant Erotica Reale in Berlin.
Chef Care’ moved to Asia in 2006 to join the award-winning Garibaldi Group. His well travelled experience has brought him special insight into creating innovative dishes. He later on joined Va Bene restaurant in Xintiandi, Shanghai as executive chef and successfully opened Tavola Italian dining in The Bund area.
Chef Care’ is a proud member of Chef Euro Toques and Group Virtual Chef Italian, and is a teacher at the Shangri-La Academy. He has been nominated Italian Master Chef by the Academia Barilla in Parma, Italy.
A great passion for his craft enriches his professional development and fuels his quest for new challenges. Together with Napoli Pizza Artist Stefano Somma and Spanish Chef de Partie Jose’ Penades Mira, Chef Care’ leads a creative and dynamic team in offering a unique culinary experience.