Hong Kong-based Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts announced today the launch of the first of the two phases of their mobile application (app) for iPhone. As a natural extension of the brand's recently revamped website, the new app will not only encompass all the features of the website's functions, but it will now provide easy access and booking for Shangri-La's 72 hotels and resorts at one's fingertips, anywhere in the world.
Developed to maximise the features of the current smartphone technology, the free Shangri-La app that is available for download through the App Store in English or Simplified Chinese, allows guests to search and book real-time reservations at all Shangri-La hotel locations, view all special promotions and receive location-based offers at specific hotels with GPS technology, and manage their Golden Circle loyalty programme membership account efficiently. The app for iPad, Android and Blackberry devices are currently under development.
Key features of the mobile app will enable users to:
• Explore, book, view and edit room reservations at over 70 Shangri-La, Traders and Kerry hotels and resorts
• Join Golden Circle quickly with just a few taps
• Check Golden Circle Award Points balance and manage the membership account
• Redeem points for complimentary stays plus dining and CHI, The Spa vouchers
• Get travel tips, read and share travel stories with Golden Circle members
• Integrate with popular social media platforms
• Connect to the nearest international toll-free numbers for 24/7 customer support using location-based GPS technology
• Retrieve offers and stories at Shangri-La hotels with the built-in QR code scanner
"We realise how valuable it is to build an interactive relationship with our guests and members, and that's why Shangri-La is offering them additional touch points through this first generation of our new mobile app," said Wee Kee Ng, director of corporate loyalty and partner marketing of Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. "As part of our global mobile strategy which included the successful launch of the group's new website in May, Shangri-La also offers free Wi-Fi in all areas of every one of the group's hotels, including the guestrooms, public areas, restaurants, lounges and function areas. All these initiatives will empower our guests and members by allowing full engagement with our hotels at their convenience."
Plans are already underway for the second phase of this versatile mobile app that will be launched in the first quarter of 2013 to develop the following additional features that would include more hotel-centric features:
• Retrieve room text and voice messages
• Set up and cancel a wake-up call
• Folio review and express check-out
• Make a turndown request
• Luggage service request
• Individual hotel directory
• In-room dining menu and order
• Table reservations at different restaurants
• Local weather
• Airline arrival and departure flight status
As part of the launch campaign, from now until 15 October 2012, all users who download the app and share their travel stories in "Your Circle" – the segment dedicated to personalised feature contributions within the programme's travel site "Inner Circle" - will have the opportunity to win one of the 20 luxurious vacations, each of which is a three-night stay in an Executive Suite at any Shangri-La hotel or resort of their choice.
Since the relaunch of the Golden Circle Programme in October 2010, the awards programme has attracted more than 450,000 new members, bringing the total membership to over 2.2 million guests who have earned more than 1 billion GC Award Points.
Golden Circle enables members to earn and accumulate points by staying at Shangri-La, Kerry and Traders hotels and resorts, dining at participating restaurants or enjoying spa treatments at CHI. These points may then be redeemed for complimentary room nights, upgrades, dining, spa privileges and airline miles. Golden Circle members may earn one GC Award Point for every US$1 or local currency equivalent spent. Rewards are available for as little as 500 GC Awards Points and members can share rewards with family members. For more information about the programme or to register as a member, visit www.goldencircle.shangri-la.com.