Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong celebrated Earth Day on 22 April 2014 by inviting hotel guests and colleagues to show their support to this meaningful event.
“Together with other parts of the world, we would like to demonstrate our support for environmental protection. We took Earth Day as a great opportunity for us to plan fun, action-oriented activities, and to engage the whole community in making a ‘green’ difference,” said Mr Garibele Lombardo, hotel manager.
This year, over 700 guests and 850 associates at Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong showed full support for Earth Day in different ways. The activity highlights included :
- Ride For A Greener Future : Together with sister hotels in Hong Kong, around 30 colleagues rode their own bicycles from Tsim Sha Tsui East to the organic farm embraced by Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong in Yuen Long with a distance of 50 kilometres
- Organic Farm Visit : Hotel guests were invited to visit the organic farm in Yuen Long and enjoy the “green” lunch prepared by the hotel’s expert chefs using local organic produce from the farm
- Afternoon Guided Tour in Hong Kong Park for hotel guests
- Associates pledged of commitment to protecting the environment
- The hotel dimmed all non-essential lighting throughout the day, while guests were also encouraged to do the same in their rooms, to take showers instead of baths and to utilise the city’s public transportation whenever possible
“The Shangri-La Hotel Management has always been at the forefront when it comes to sustainability, in particular when the group has made it to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index in October 2013.” Mr Lombardo said, “As a result, Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong has also taken a proactive role towards this subject whenever and wherever it can be applied through activities such as food recycling via the non-profit organisation Foodlink.”